GREAT EXCITEMENT IN WORCESTER.--ARREST OF A BOSTON OFFICER.--A telegraphic despatch received from Worcester yesterday morning informs us that Asa O. Butman, one of the Boston United States Marshal's officers, who was somewhat conspicuous in the arrests of the fugitives, Thomas Sims and Anthony Burns, was found booked at the American House on Sunday, and was posted throughout the city in the evening in placards holding the most violent language.

   A committee of the citizens went to the hotel and watched Butman's movements. He there flourished a pistol, and threatened to use it, whereupon a warrant was issued,and he was immediately arrested. He was brought up before the police court this morning, charged with carrying concealed weapons. His case was postponed two weeks, and he was required to give bonds to appear. 

   Adin Thayer, the standard-bearer of the "Freedom Club," appeared for th eGovernment, and immediately after harangued the crowd outside, stating that inside he was a legal gentleman, and outside one of the people. He inquired for rotten eggs--did not advise their use, but intimated that they were useful at times. Butman being in the marshal's office, a stampede of negroes was made for the door. The leader was knocked down and Butman was secured from harm by Marshal Bager. An attempt to rescue the leader proved fruitless, but the negro escaped by jumping through the window.

   Geo. F. Hoar, Esq. son of the venerable Samuel Hoar, who was driven out of South Carolina, appeared, and stated that Butman would leave town next train, and called upon all citizens to allow him to go without harm. Butman went to the Western depot, accompanied by Hoar and a full police force. Rotten eggs were freely used, and many attempts were made to reach Butman. The cars had left and Butman was secured from the mob for a few minutes in the depot.

   Soon after, a number of colored men fell upon him, and would undoubtedly have taken his life but for the interference of Martin Stowell, Joseph A. Dowland, Mr. Hoar, Rev. T.W. Higginson, and Stephen L. Foster--all Abolitionists. Batman was hustled into a carriage, accompanied by Mr. Higginson, and escaped with his life. 

   Mr. Higginson was considerably cut and bruised by missiles thrown at the carriage, and Buttman was pelted with rotten eggs and stones, and was kicked and beaten almost to death. He promised never to visit Worcester again, and probably never will. He is now out of harm's way.

   We learn that Mr. Butman was sent to Worcester by the United States authorities to summon witnesses for the U.S. Court in regard to the Burns riots.

   Officer Butman arrived in this city last evening about 8 o'clock, having ridden all the way from Worcester in a private carriage. He was so seriously injured by the rough handling of the mob that he may not be able to leave his room for some days. He attributes his escape with his life entirely to the exertions of Messrs. Higginson, Hoar and others of those whose conduct in the Burns affair he went to Worcester to aid in investigating. He was much injured by persons punching him with embrellas at the depot. 


"Great Excitement in Worcester," Vicksburg (MS) Whig, November 22, 1854, p. 1

Location of Stampede
Coverage Type
Location of Coverage- City
Location of Coverage- State
Contains Stampede Term