BREMER, a new county in the N. E. central part of Iowa, has an area of 430 square miles. It is intersected by the Cedar, Wapsipinicon, and English rivers, which flow in a south-easterly direction. The county is said to contain good land, well supplied with water and timber; the climate is healthy. This county is not included in the census of 1850. County seat not located. Named in honor of Frederica Bremer, the Swedish authoress. (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)
BREMER COUNTY Was settled first in 1848-9. In the spring of 1853, the town of Janesville, six miles below Waverly, was laid out by John T. Barrie. This town is situated on the east bank of the Cedar River, some three miles above the junction of the Cedar and the Shellrock. The place contains some 150 inhabitants, with two stores, saw-mill, &c. A flouring-mill is much needed, and the water-power along these streams is sufficient to furnish sites for all the machinery needed. A great abundance of building-stone and the best of timber admirably fit this for a manufacturing place.
But one school in Janesville — a fine stone school-house is now being erected, 24 by 36 feet.
The M. E. Church are making arrangements to build a house of worship this season. There are one stationary and two local itinerant ministers; the churches are well attended and prosperous.
In June, 1853, the county-seat was located six miles above Janesville, on the east bank of the Cedar Biver. and the town of Waverly established, which has now a population of some 200. A good saw and flouring mill near Waverly. The population of Bremer County is about 2000. Public schools in every settlement through the county. A body of timber, known as "the lower big woods," embracing some 40 sections, lies in the vicinity of these towns, which, in a prairie country, is a consideration of no minor importance. This is a healthy and productive region of country, possessing beautiful scenery, and excellent agricultural and manufacturing advantages. (Iowa As It Is in 1855; A Gazetteer for Citizens..., 1855)