All States // Missouri // Illinois // Iowa

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1087

State:

Latitude:
32.3182
Longitude:
-86.9023

AMHERSTBURG. A garrison Town, in the township of Malden, in the county of Essex: sixteen miles from Sandwich, on the Detroit River. It was commenced in the year 1798, soon after the evacuation of Detroit. The situation is good, but most of the streets are rather narrow.

Latitude:
42.1
Longitude:
-83.083333
Latitude:
35.2010
Longitude:
-91.8318

In Kent County, Canada West, founded in 1849. Home of fugitives, including William Parker, of Christiana fame.

Latitude:
42.3103
Longitude:
-82.225

CHATHAM. The County Town of the County of Kent; pleasantly and advantageously situated on the River Thames, at the junction of the townships of Chatham, Raleigh, Harwich, and Dover East; and at the entrance of McGregor's Creek into that river: the portion of it situated on the north shore of the river being called Chatham North.

Latitude:
42.4
Longitude:
-82.183333

COLCHESTER.  A Township in the county of Essex; bounded on the north by the townships of Maidstone and Sandwich; on the west by Anderdon and Malden; on the south by Lake Erie; and on the east by Gosfield. It contains 21,530 acres, of which 5124 are under cultivation. About half the township is wet land, and requires considerable draining; the remainder is mostly good land. Timber, maple, beech, elm, oak, black walnut, butternut, chestnut, &c.

Latitude:
41.986389
Longitude:
-82.934722

DAWN.  A township in the Western District; is bounded on the east by the township of Zone, on the north by Enniskillen, on the west by Sombra, and on the south by Chatham and Camden west. In Dawn 16,339 acres are taken up, 3,320 of which are under cultivation. This is a fine township, containing excellent land ; the soil is generally rich, and the timber the best kinds of hardwood— maple, black walnut, beech, elm, white oak, &c.

Latitude:
42.590278
Longitude:
-82.181667
Latitude:
38.9108
Longitude:
-75.5277

ESSEX.  A County in the Western District; comprises the townships of Anderdon, Colchester, Gosfield, Maidstone, Mersea, Malden, Rochester, and SandwichIt returns a member to the House of Assembly.  (Smith's Canadian Gazetteer, 1849)

Latitude:
42.166667
Longitude:
-82.783333
Latitude:
27.6648
Longitude:
-81.5158

GALT.  A Village in the township of Dumfries, prettily situated on the Grand River, in a valley surrounded by high hills; twenty-five miles from Hamilton, and eighteen from Brantford. It has very valuable water-power, by the employment of which, in milling and manufacturing, the place is fast rising into prosperity; and already begins to assume the appearance of a town.

Latitude:
43.391389
Longitude:
-80.348611

GOSFIELD.  A Township in the county of Essex; is bounded on the north by the townships of Rochester and Maidstone; on the west by Colchester ; on the south by Lake Erie ; and on the east by Mersea. In Gosfield 24,803 acres of land are taken up, of which 5,030 are under cultivation. About half the land in this township is wet, and requires considerable draining ; the remainder is mostly excellent land.

Latitude:
42.1
Longitude:
-82.716667

HAMILTON. The District Town of the Gore District, in the township of Barton and county of Wentworth; is situated in an extensive valley on the south side of Burlington Bay, at its western extremity. The town was laid out in the year 1813, by a Mr. Hamilton, from whom it derived its name. On account of the swamp in the vicinity of the bay, the principal part of the town has been placed about a mile back from the bay, on a gently rising ground.

Latitude:
43.256667
Longitude:
-79.869167
Latitude:
Longitude:
Latitude:
35.0078
Longitude:
-97.0929
Latitude:
Longitude:
Latitude:
39.0119
Longitude:
-98.4842

KENT.  A County in the Western District. It comprises the townships of Bosanquet, Brooke, Camden, Chatham, Dawn, East Dover, West Dover, Enniskillen, Harwich, Howard, Moore, Orford, Plympton, Raleigh, Romney, Sarnia, Sombra, East Tilbury, Warwick and Zone. It returns a member to the House of Assembly. (Smith's Canadian Gazetteer, 1849)

Latitude:
42.377
Longitude:
-82.189
Latitude:
37.8393
Longitude:
-84.2700

LONDON.  The District Town of the London District, situated in the township of London, on the River Thames, eighty-five miles from Hamilton, twenty-six from Port Stanley, and seventeen from St. Thomas. The town was laid out in 1826 by the Crown, on land reserved by Governor Simcoe; it returned a member in 1836, and was incorporated in 1840.

Latitude:
42.983611
Longitude:
-81.249722

From Hayward's 1854 Gazetteer:  "This state became a territorial member of the Federal Union in the year 1803, under peculiar circumstances.

Latitude:
30.9843
Longitude:
-91.9623
Latitude:
39.0458
Longitude:
-76.6413

MERSEA. A Township in the County of Essex; is bounded on the north by the township of Tilbury West; on the West by Gosfield; on the south by Lake Erie; andon the east by Romney. In Mersea 20,574 acres are taken up, of which 2,593 are under cultivation. An extensive, triangular-shaped point of land, embracing about one-third of the township, called “Point Pelé,” runs out into the lake. This is principally sand and marsh, and incapable of being cultivated.

Latitude:
41.964167
Longitude:
-82.517778
Latitude:
43
Longitude:
-81.5
Latitude:
32.3547
Longitude:
-89.3985

MISSOURI, (i.e. the "Mud river,") the longest tributary stream in the world, has its source in the Rocky Mountains, lat. 45° N., Ion. 110° 30' W. The springs which give rise to this river are not more than a mile from the head waters of the Columbia, which flows W. to the Pacific ocean. The first 500 miles of its course to the Great Falls is nearly N. ; then inflecting E. N. E., it reaches its extreme northern bend at the junction of White Earth river, lat. 48° 20' N.

Latitude:
Longitude:
Latitude:
40.7128
Longitude:
-74.0060
Latitude:
35.7596
Longitude:
-79.0193

From Hayward's 1854 Gazetteer:  "This state has heretofore been classed among the North-west States of the American Union; but the vast accumulation of territory lying still farther west and north has left Ohio more properly among the Middle States, on the Atlantic side of the continent: indeed, her relative position, considered in regard to the present north-western possessions of the United States, is actually that of one of the Eastern States of this republic.  Marietta, the oldest town in

Latitude:
40.4173
Longitude:
-82.9071

PELE, POINT.  A Point of Land, part of the township of Mersea, which runs out into Lake Erie. (Smith's Canadian Gazetteer, 1849)

Latitude:
41.964167
Longitude:
-82.517778
Latitude:
41.2033
Longitude:
-77.1945

SANDWICH.  The District Town of the Western District, beautifully situated on the Detroit River, about two miles below Detroit, and nine miles below Lake St. Clair. The town is neatly laid out; and, being an old settlement, with fine old orchards, and well kept flower gardens, has very much the appearance of an English country town. It is built on a gravelly soil, on a gently sloping bank, a short distance from the river, which is here about a mile wide.

Latitude:
42.299
Longitude:
-83.076
Latitude:
33.8361
Longitude:
-81.1637

ST. CATHARINES. A Town in the township of Grantham, situated on the Welland Canal, thirty-six miles from Hamilton, and twelve miles from Niagara. The town is beautifully situated, having a fine view for a considerable distance of the Welland Canal and surrounding country.

Latitude:
43.183333
Longitude:
-79.233333
Latitude:
35.860119
Longitude:
-86.660156
Latitude:
31.9686
Longitude:
-99.9018

HOME DISTRICT. Consists of the County of York and the City of Toronto. The county of York is divided into four ridings, each returning one member to the Legislative Assembly. The north riding comprises the townships of Brock, North Gwillimbury, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, Mara, Reach, Rama, Scott, Thorah, Uxbridge and Whitchurch. The south riding comprises the townships of Etobicoke, King, Vaughan, and York, and for the purposes of registration of titles only, the city of Toronto.

Latitude:
Longitude:

TORONTO. The District Town of the Home District, situated in the south-east of the township of York, on a bay of Lake Ontario. The neighbourhood first commenced settling about fifty years ago; but for some years it advanced very slowly. In 1799 the whole district, which then included a large portion of the surrounding country, which has since been formed into separate districts, contained only 224 inhabitants.

Latitude:
43.741667
Longitude:
-79.373333

General borderlands map, courtesy of David Rumsey map collection

Latitude:
Longitude:
Latitude:
37.4316
Longitude:
-78.6569
Latitude:
38.889248
Longitude:
-77.050636

WINDSOR.  A Village in the township of Sandwich, pleasantly situated on the Detroit River, opposite the city of Detroit, in Michigan. It was laid out in 1834, and is a place of considerable business. Two steam ferry-boats ply constantly between this place and Detroit. The situation is healthy, the town being built on a high bank, from thirty to forty feet above the river, which is here about a mile in width. Windsor possesses barracks, which are occupied at present by a battalion of Rifles.

Latitude:
42.283333
Longitude:
-83

HOME DISTRICT. Consists of the County of York and the City of Toronto. The county of York is divided into four ridings, each returning one member to the Legislative Assembly. The north riding comprises the townships of Brock, North Gwillimbury, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, Mara, Reach, Rama, Scott, Thorah, Uxbridge and Whitchurch. The south riding comprises the townships of Etobicoke, King, Vaughan, and York, and for the purposes of registration of titles only, the city of Toronto.

Latitude:
43.857
Longitude:
-79.423

State: Iowa

ADAIR COUNTY  is situated in the south-western part of Iowa being the third county east of the Missouri River, and the third north of the State of Missouri. It is bounded on the north by Guthrie, on the east by Madison, on the south by Union and Adams, and on the west by Cass. The Grand Divide, or the high land dividing the waters of the Missouri from the waters of the Mississippi, passes through the eastern portion of the county. The land is undulating, and mostly rolling prairie.

Latitude:
41.328528
Longitude:
-94.478164

ADAMS, a county in the S. W. part of Iowa, has an area of 432 square miles. It is intersected by the Nodaway river, which flows south-westward, and also drained by several of its head streams. This county is not included in the census of 1850, and the county seat is not yet located.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.021656
Longitude:
-94.696906

ADELL(sic), a post-village, capital of Dallas county, Iowa, 150 miles W. from Iowa City.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.607127
Longitude:
-94.011863

AFTON, the county seat [of Union County, Iowa], is situated northeast of the centre of the county, near Grand River. It has a good court house, three general stores, one drug store, one hardware, stove, and tin store, three groceries and one jeweler. Population about 400. (Hair's Iowa State Gazetteer..., 1865)

Latitude:
41.027618
Longitude:
-94.195373

ALBIA, a new and thriving town, capital of Monroe county, Iowa, about 90 miles W. P. W. from Iowa city, and about 30 miles from Oskaloosa. It is situated in a fertile farming district, diversified by prairies and woodlands. Population, about 500.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.027115
Longitude:
-92.803847

ALGONA, the county seat, is on the east fork of the Des Moines river, on a beautiful site partly surrounded by timber, and with a wide expanse of the best quality of prairie east and west of it. It contains three churches, Baptist, Congregational and Methodist; also one flour mill, two saw mills, one general store and one grocery. Population 250, of township 400.  (Hair's Iowa State Gazetteer..., 1865)

Latitude:
43.073979
Longitude:
-94.229926

ALAMAKEE(sic) COUNTY   Is bounded on the east by the Mississippi River. It is the extreme N. E. county of the State. The first settlements made by whites were in 1850. The present population of the county numbers some 5000.
One church, erected by the Congregationalists in Wawkon, and one in Lansing, are the only houses of worship we hear of in the county. The several Christian denominations have organized societies, and many of them are preparing to build this year.

Latitude:
43.274964
Longitude:
-91.382751