All States // Missouri // Illinois // Iowa

Displaying 301 - 350 of 1181

State: Illinois

CLARK COUNTY, situated on the eastern boundary of Illinois, on the west side of Wabash river. Area, 500 square miles. Seat of justice, Marshall. Pop. in 1830, 3,124; in 1840, 7,453; in 1850, 9,532. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.332364
Longitude:
-87.791687

CLAY COUNTY, III. Situated in the s. E. part of the state. It contains 475 sq. ms. Surface level, soil fertile. Drained by Little Wabash r. Capital, Lewisville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,033, sheep 2,483, swine 12,033; wheat 4,050 bush. produced, rye 430, Ind. com 144,189, oats 18,850, potatoes 8,770, tobacco 2,430 pounds, cotton 1,396, sugar 2,772 ; 5 stores, cap. $2,750; 2 tanneries, 6 grist m.. 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,880. 6 sch. 134 scholars. Pop.

Latitude:
38.746819
Longitude:
-88.482325

CLINTON COUNTY, situated in the southern part of Illinois, and traversed by Kaskaskia river. Area, 480 square miles. This county is well-watered, and contains both timber and prairie lands. Seat of justice, Carlyle. Pop., in 1830, 2,330; in 1840, 3,718; in 1850, 5,139. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.606295
Longitude:
-89.426228

CLINTON, p.v., DeWitt co., Ill., 64 ms. E.N.E. of Springfield; from W. 739 ms.  Watered by Salt creek.  (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.146702
Longitude:
-88.96251

COLES COUNTY, situated in the eastern part of Illinois. Area, 1,248 square miles. Seat of justice, Charleston. Pop. in 1840, 9,616 ; in 1850, 9,335. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.51368
Longitude:
-88.220782

COLLINSVILLE   A post village of Madison county, 86 miles south by west, from Springfield, and 14 miles east-north-east from St. Louis; some considerable milling is done at this place. Joseph W. Griffith, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
38.675692
Longitude:
-90.005669

COOK COUNTY, situated on the easterly boundary of Illinois, on the west side of Lake Michigan, and watered by Des Plaines, Chicago, and Du Page rivers. Area, 864 square miles. Face of the country generally level, containing prairies; soil fertile. Seat of justice, Chicago. Pop. in 1835, 7,500; in 1840, 10,201; in 1850, 43,385. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.894294
Longitude:
-87.645455

CRAWFORD COUNTY, situated on the westerly boundary of Illinois, with Wabash river on the east, and Embarrass river on the southwest. Area, 426 square miles. Face of the county variegated by hills and plains; soil productive. Seat of justice, Palestine. Pop. in 1820, 3,024 ; in 1830, 3,117 ; in 1840, 4,422 ; in 1850, 7,135. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.002787
Longitude:
-87.760619

CUMBERLAND COUNTY, situated near the easterly part of Illinois. Area, ----- square miles. Seat of justice, Greenup. Pop. in 1850, 3,720. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.273121
Longitude:
-88.240619

DANVILLE, p-v., capital of Vermillion co., Ill., 130 E. by n. Springfield, 657 W. Situated on the n. side of Vermillion r., near the entrance of the n. fork. It is on a dry, sandy, and elevated surface, with an open prairie on the s.; but on other sides surrounded by a heavy growth of timber. It has 3 churches—1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist—a U. S. land office, 17 stores, a printing office issuing a weekly newspaper, 100 dwellings, 3 schools, and 503 inhabitants.

Latitude:
40.142628
Longitude:
-87.610707

DECATUR, c. h., p. v., seat of justice of Macon co., Ill., 40 ms. E. of Springfield ; from W. 749 ms. Watered by north fork of Sangamon river. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.855983
Longitude:
-88.933746

DEKALB COUNTY, situated in the northern part of Illinois. Area, 648 square miles. Seat of justice, Sycamore. Pop. in 1840, 1,697; in 1850, 7,450. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.894612
Longitude:
-88.768991

DE WITT COUNTY, situated near the central part of Illinois. Area, ----- square miles. Seat of justice, Clinton. Pop. in 1850, 5,002. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.181499
Longitude:
-88.901853

DIXON,  The county seat of Lee county, is pleasantly situated on the banks of Rock river, where the Illinois Central railroad connects with the Fulton and Iowa Central branch of the Galena road, 98 miles west from Chicago. Until 1830, the whole district around Dixon was in possession of the Winnebago Indians, but in that year, John Dixon, Esq., purchased the land on which Dixon now stands, of Government. In 1837, Dixon was made the county seat, and in 1840 a court house was erected.

Latitude:
41.844456
Longitude:
-89.479044

Formed in 1859 from a portion of Coles County.

Latitude:
Longitude:

DUPAGE COUNTY, situated in the northeasterly part of Illinois. Area, 396 square miles. Seat of justice, Napierville. Pop. in 1840, 3,535; in 1850, 9,290. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.852058
Longitude:
-88.086038

DWIGHT   A flourishing post village of Livingston county, on the St. Louis, Alton and Chicago railroad, 74 miles from Chicago, and 211 miles from St. Louis. Was incorporated in 1854, has a church costing $300, and one public school house costing $3,500. Population, 250. David McWilliams, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
41.098253
Longitude:
-88.424892

EARL(sic)  A flourishing village of La Salle county, on the line of the C., B. & Q. R. R., 77 miles south of west from Chicago.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
41.588068
Longitude:
-88.922954

EDGAR COUNTY, situated on the easterly boundary of Illinois. Area, 630 square miles. Soil rich. Seat of justice, Paris. Pop. in 1830, 4,076; in 1840, 8,335; in 1850, 10,692. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.679037
Longitude:
-87.74711

EDWARDS COUNTY, situated in the southeasterly part of Illinois. Area, 200 square miles. Face of the country undulating; soil generally fertile. Seat of justice, Albion. Pop. in 1820, 3,444; in 1830, 1,649; in 1840, 3,070; in 1850, 3,524. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.417095
Longitude:
-88.047941

EDWARDSVILLE,  A thriving post village, capital of Madison county, is pleasantly situated on the Cohokia creek, 74 miles south by west from Springfield, and in the midst of a highly productive district. Distance from St. Louis, about 15 miles; from Chicago, 295 miles. A United States land office is located there. The village contains several churches and an academy.  Thos. J. Prickett, Postmaster. (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
38.794569
Longitude:
-89.987143

EFFINGHAM COUNTY, situated toward the southeasterly part of Illinois. Area, 486 square miles. Soil of middling quality. Seat of justice, Ewington. Pop in 1840, 1,675; in 1850, 3,799. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.047945
Longitude:
-88.592849

EFFINGHAM   A village in the county of the same name, and on the line of the Chicago branch of the Illinois Central railroad. Is increasing rapidly.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
39.120662
Longitude:
-88.550859

ELGIN   Is a delightfully situated city of Kane county, on both banks of the Fox river, 42 miles north-west from Chicago, and is one of the most important business points in the county. At this place the Galena and Chicago Union and Fox River Valley railroads unite. Elgin was settled by Mr. Gifford, of New York, who located there with his family in the fall of 1835. Additions were soon made to their small number, by other hardy adventurers, principally, however, relatives of Mr.

Latitude:
42.039639
Longitude:
-88.321709

ELIZABETHTOWN   A flourishing post village, capital of Hardin county, on the Ohio river, 219 miles south-south-east from Springfield. John E. Mott, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
37.449937
Longitude:
-88.303521

ELK HART CITY   A thriving post village of Logan county, on the line of the St. Louis, Alton and Chicago railroad, 170 miles from Chicago and 115 miles from St. Louis.  This place is rapidly advancing in wealth and population, being situated in a highly fertile district, and having direct access to the two great commercial cities of the west.  W. Rankin, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
40.012326
Longitude:
-89.476113

EQUALITY   A post village, capital of Gallatin county, on Saline creek, 14 miles west by north from the Ohio river, and 187 miles south-southeast from Springfield. The manufacture of salt is carried on to some extent in the vicinity. A proposed line of railroad from Vincennes, Indiana, to Mound City, Illinois, will intersect the village. W. H. Crawford, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
37.736911
Longitude:
-88.342211

EVANSTON   A beautiful village of Cook county, on the shore of lake Michigan, and on the line of the Chicago and Milwaukee railroad, 12 miles from the former city.  The place has been built up principally by the enterprise of wealthy merchants and business men from Chicago, who have residences there.  James B. Colvin, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859) 

Latitude:
42.046391
Longitude:
-87.694352

FAIRFIELD, p-v., and capital of Wayne co., Ill, 145 8. E. Springfield, 751 W. Situated on the border of Hargrove's prairie. It has a handsome brick court house, 3 or 4 stores, and about 30 dwellings. Large quantities of castor oil are manufactured here. (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
38.380632
Longitude:
-88.372524

FAYETTE COUNTY, situated toward the central part of Illinois, and traversed by the Kaskaskia River. Area, 648 square miles. Seat of justice, Vandalia. Pop. in 1830, 2,704; in 1840, 6,328; in 1850, 8,075. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.001125
Longitude:
-89.017923

Formed in February 1859 from portions of Vermilion. Last Illinois county created. County seat Paxton.

Latitude:
40.596539
Longitude:
-88.224588

FRANKLIN COUNTY, situated in the southerly part of Illinois. Area, 866 square miles. Face of the country generally level; soil productive. Seat of justice, Benton. Pop. in 1820, 1,763; in 1830, 4,083; in 1840, 3,682; in 1850, 5,681. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.991852
Longitude:
-88.926321

FREEPORT, Is., c. h. Stephenson co. On Peekatonica River. 200 miles N. from Springfield. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)

Latitude:
42.289011
Longitude:
-89.634265

FULTON COUNTY, Ill. Situated toward the N. w. part of the state. Illinois r. runs on its s. e. border. Watered by Spoon r. and Copperas cr. The surface is undulating, consisting of timber land and prairie, and the soil is excellent. Capital, Lewiston. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,419, sheep 12,019,swine 39,326; wheat 105.373 bush, produced, rye 3,825, Indian com 608,888, buckwheat 2,386, oats 127,059, potatoes 60,702, tobacco 7,787 pounds, sugar 23,934; 29 stores, cap.

Latitude:
40.46524
Longitude:
-90.202269

GALENA  The city of Galena, capital of Jo Daviess county, is situated on Galena river, about 8 miles from the Mississippi, 450 miles north from St. Louis and 191 W.N.W. from Chicago.  Thompson's Letters describe it thus: "The river on whose rocky shelf this city is built, is more properly an arm of the Mississippi river, setting up between lofty bluffs, around whose base it winds with picturesque effect.

Latitude:
42.42206
Longitude:
-90.427804

GALESBURG   This flourishing city is situated in the north-east part of Knox county, 5 miles from Knoxville, the county seat, and 168 miles west-south-west from Chicago, at the junction of the Chicago and Burlington, Northern Cross, and Peoria and Oquawka railroads, giving it direct communication with the Mississippi and Illinois rivers, and the great central market of the west, Chicago.

Latitude:
40.950217
Longitude:
-90.376564

GALLATIN COUNTY, situated on the easterly boundary of Illinois, with Ohio and Wabash rivers on the east. Area, 760 square miles. Face of the country, undulating; soil, productive. Seat of justice, Equality. Pop. in 1820, 3,155; in 1830, 7,405; in 1840, [illegible]; in 1850, 5,137. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.768677
Longitude:
-88.227964

GENEVA  The capital of Kane county, is situated on both sides of Fox river, and on the line of the Chicago, Fulton & Iowa railroad, 35 miles west from Chicago. The first claim to the land on which the town now stands, was made by Daniel S. H. Haight, Esq., in the spring of 1834. The name was adopted at the suggestion of Dr. Dyer, a prominent citizen of Chicago.

Latitude:
41.882072
Longitude:
-88.329337

GILEAD, a post-village of Calhoun co., Illinois, near the Mississippi river, about 90 miles S. W. from Springfield, has several hundred inhabitants. It was formerly the county seat.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
39.1242153
Longitude:
-90.6673450

GOLCONDA    a post-village, capital of Pope county, Illinois, on Ohio river, at the mouth of Lusk creek, 220 miles S. S. E. from Springfield. It has a brick court house.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
37.362137
Longitude:
-88.486721

GRAFTON, a small post-village of Jersey county, Illinois, on the Mississippi river, about 84 miles S. W. from Springfield. Population, 222.   (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

GRAFTON, A post village of Jersey County, on the Mississippi river, about 85 miles south-west from Springfield.  Population, about 350.  Wm. H. Allen, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
38.976492
Longitude:
-90.425888

GREENE COUNTY, situated toward the westerly part of Illinois, with Illinois river on the west. Area, 942 square miles. Face of the country rolling; soil, fertile. Seat of justice, Carrollton. Pop. in 1830, 7,674; in 1840, 11,951; in 1850, 3,658. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.355444
Longitude:
-90.387757

GREENUP, a small post-village, capital of Cumberland county, Illinois, on Embarras river, at the crossing of the National road, 111 miles E. S. E. from Springfield.  Population, 948.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
39.247946
Longitude:
-88.160025

GREENVILLE, a neat and thriving post-village, capital of Bond co., Illinois, on the East fork of Shoal creek, on the National road, and on the railroad (unfinished) between Terre Haute and Alton, about 45 miles E. from the latter. It has a body of timber on the N., and on the S. a beautiful expanse of prairie. It has 2 newspaper offices, 3 churches, and 7 stores.   (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
38.886594
Longitude:
-89.389347

GRUNDY COUNTY, situated toward the northeastern part of Illinois, and traversed by Des Plaines river. Area, 324 square miles. Seat of justice, Morris. Pop. in 1850, 3,023. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.29241
Longitude:
-88.401054

HAMILTON COUNTY, situated in the south easterly part of Illinois. Area, 432 square miles. Seat of justice, McLeansborough. Pop. in 1830, 2,616; in 1840, 3,945; in 1850, 6,362. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.085227
Longitude:
-88.539009

HANCOCK COUNTY, situated on the western boundary of Illinois, with Mississippi river on the west. Area, 775 square miles. Face of the country even, consisting of prairie land; soil productive. Seat of justice, Carthage. Pop. in 1830, 483; in 1840, 9,946; in 1850, 14,652. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.401318
Longitude:
-91.168801

HARDIN COUNTY, situated in the southeastern part of Illinois, bounded on the east and south by Ohio river. Area, 100 square miles. Seat of justice, Elizabethtown. Pop. in 1840, 1,378; in 1850, 2,887. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.517852
Longitude:
-88.266148

HARDIN, a post-village, capital of Calhoun county, Illinois, on the W. bank of the Illinois river, 85 miles S. W. from Springfield. Population, 596.   (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

HARDIN,  A post village, capital of Calhoun county, on the west bank of the Illinois river, 85 miles south-west from Springfield, is a place of considerable importance.  Benj. F. Childs, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
39.158973
Longitude:
-90.623141

HARRISONVILLE, A post village of Monroe county, on the Mississippi river, about 28 miles below St. Louis.  Noah B. Harlow, Postmaster.  (Hawkes' Illinois State Gazetteer, 1859)

Latitude:
38.2775544
Longitude:
-90.3501191