All States // Missouri // Illinois // Iowa

Displaying 401 - 450 of 1181

State: Illinois

MARSHALL   A post village, capital of Clark county, on the line of the Atlantic and Mississippi railroad, 130 miles east-south-east from Springfield. Thos. J. Starr, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
39.396801
Longitude:
-87.692371

MASON COUNTY, situated in the central part of Illinois, with Illinois river on the northwest, and the Sangamon on the south.  Area,          square miles.  Seat of justice, Bath.  Pop. in 1850, 5,921. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.236993
Longitude:
-89.913575

MASSAC COUNTY, situated on the southerly boundary of Illinois, with Ohio river on the south.  Area     square miles.  Seat of justice, Metropolis.  Pop. in 1850, 4,092. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.216119
Longitude:
-88.705658

MATTOON   A post village of Coles county, at the intersection of the Illinois Central (Chicago branch) and the Terre Haute, Alton and St. Louis railroad, 172 miles from Chicago and 130 miles from St. Louis. During the last year over one hundred and fifty houses have been built here; among them is a large brick church (Methodist), a fine hotel, and a very large business house. A male and female academy is located here under judicious management.

Latitude:
39.477833
Longitude:
-88.362225

McDONOUGH COUNTY, situated on the west part of Illinois. Are, 576 square miles. Seat of justice, Macomb. Pop. in 1840, 5,308; in 1850, 7,615. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.455808
Longitude:
-90.678954

McHENRY COUNTY, situated on the north boundary of Illinois.  Area, 960 square miles.  Seat of justice, Dorr.  Pop. in 1840, 2,578; in 1850, 14,979. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
42.324298
Longitude:
-88.452245

McLEAN COUNTY, situated in the central part of Illinois.  Area, 1,296 square miles.  Seat of justice, Bloomington.  Pop. in 1840, 6,565; in 1850, 10,163. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.494559
Longitude:
-88.844539

McLEANSBORO   A post village, capital of Hamilton county, 160 miles south-south-east from Springfield.  It contains, besides the county buildings, several fine stores.  Abm. Irvan, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
38.090269
Longitude:
-88.538611

MECHANICSBURG    A post village of Sangamon county, 15 miles east from Springfield. It is located on the line of the Great Western railroad, and is a thriving place. Morris Bird, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
39.798443
Longitude:
-89.41307

MENARD COUNTY, situated in the central part of Illinois, and traversed by Sangamon river. Area, 260 square miles. Seat of justice, Petersburgh. Pop. in 1840, 4,431; in 1850, 6,349. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.022569
Longitude:
-89.794133

MERCER COUNTY, situated on the west boundary of Illinois, with the Mississippi river on the west. Area, 550 square miles. Seat of justice, Millersburgh. Pop. in 1840, 2,352; in 1850, 5,246. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.205605
Longitude:
-90.74177

METAMORE(sic)  A post village of Woodford county, about 80 miles north by east from Springfield. Moses P. Mack, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Note: Founded as Hamburg, Illinois in 1836.  Name changed to Metamora, Illinois in 1845.

Latitude:
40.796
Longitude:
-89.368583

MIDDLEPORT, a thriving post-village, capital of Iroquois county, Illinois, on the Iroquois river, at the junction of Sugar creek, 150 miles E. N. E. from Springfield. It contains a court house and numerous stores. Population in 1853, about 800.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
40.816944
Longitude:
-87.708056

MILLERSBURG, a post-village of Mercer co., Illinois, 156 miles' N. W. from Springfield. It was the county seat previous to 1849. A newspaper is published here.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

MILLERSBURGH   A post village of Mercer county, 156 miles north west from Springfield.  Until 1849, this was the county seat.  Hiram W. Thornton, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
41.2414223
Longitude:
-90.8184746

MONMOUTH, p-v., capital of Warren co. Ill, 120 N. w. Springfield, 850 W. Situated in a prairie, a little s. of Henderson r., and contains a court house, 6 stores and groceries, and about 20 dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.914462
Longitude:
-90.641409

MONROE COUNTY, situated on the southwest boundary of Illinois, with the Mississippi river on the west, and the Kaskaskia river on the east. Area, 360 square miles. Seat of justice, Waterloo. Pop. in 1830, 2,000; in 1840, 4,481; in 1850, 7,679. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.277983
Longitude:
-90.179078

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, situated toward the south part of Illinois. Area, 684 square miles. Face of the country even; soil fertile. Seat of justice, Hillsborough. Pop. in 1830, 2,953; in 1840, 4,490; in 1850, 6,276. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.228093
Longitude:
-89.478004

MONTICELLO, p-y., capital of Piatt co. Il.  Situated on the E. side of Sangamon r., and contains a court house, and about 100 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.033545
Longitude:
-88.574111

MORGAN COUNTY, situated in the westerly part of Illinois, with Illinois river on the west. Area, 510 square miles. Seat of justice, Jacksonville. Pop. in 1830, 12,714; in 1840, 19,547; in 1850, 16,064. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.717621
Longitude:
-90.204824

MORRIS, a thriving post-village, capital of Grundy co., Illinois, in on the Illinois and Michigan canal, 62 miles S. W. from Chicago. It is the principal shipping point for the grain of Grundy county. The Chicago and Rock Island railroad passes through the village. About 400,000 dollars' worth of produce was received here in 1852. Laid out in 1841. Population in 1853, estimated at 800.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.374592
Longitude:
-88.429871

MOULTRIE COUNTY, situated in the central part of Illinois. Watered by Kaskaskia river. Pop. in 1850, 3,234. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.636896
Longitude:
-88.625726

MOUND CITY  Is situated in Pulaski county, near the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and between the two. Its climate is mild and genial. The city has been laid out but about two years since, at which time it contained only three houses, a depot and two store houses.

Latitude:
37.085676
Longitude:
-89.163005

MOUNT CARMEL, p-v., capital of Wabash co, Ill., 166 s. E. Springfield, 714 W. Situated on elevated ground, on the w. side of Illinois r.  It contains a court house and jail, of brick, 1 German Reformed and 1 Methodist Episcopal church, 10 stores, 3 steam m., 1 ox tread m., 1 iron foundry, and about 1,200 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
38.419047
Longitude:
-87.769792

MOUNT CARMEL, a post-village, capital of Wabash county, Illinois, on the Wabash river, opposite the mouth of White river, 160 miles S. E. of Springfield. It has a beautiful situation and advantages for manufacturing, with a dam across the river, a mile above the village, producing inexhaustible water-power. The place is remarkably healthy, having entirely escaped the cholera when it prevailed in the vicinity. A newspaper is published here.

Latitude:
42.094787
Longitude:
-89.976908

MOUNT MORRIS,  A post village of Ogle county, in the township of the same name, 177 miles north from Springfield, and 6 miles west from Rock river. It contains a fine seminary, which is in a flourishing condition, and a newspaper office. Edward Davis, Postmaster.    (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
42.048779
Longitude:
-89.429622

MOUNT STERLING, p-v., capital of Brown co., Ill., 77 w. by n. Springfield, 854 W. Situated on a small branch of Crooked creek, and contains a court house, and several stores and dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
39.985353
Longitude:
-90.764114

MOUNT VERNON   A post village, capital of Jefferson county, 135 miles south-south-east from Springfield, about 300 from Chicago, and 85 from St. Louis It contains a fine court house, several churches, and a large number of stores. Population, about 1,000.   Daniel Kinney, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
38.314205
Longitude:
-88.91747

MURPHEYSBORO,  A post village, capital of Jackson county, on the Bug Muddy river, about 15 miles east from the Mississippi, and 178 miles south from Springfield.  The Belleville and Murpheysboro railroad passes through this place.  Wm. H. Hord, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
37.768386
Longitude:
-89.332407

NAPIERVILLE (sic), p-v., capital of Du Page co., III., 176 N. N. E. Springfield, 745 W. Situated E. of the w. Fork of Dupage r., and contains 4 stores, 1 saw m., 1 grist m., 50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
41.749173
Longitude:
-88.162019

NAPLES, a thriving post-village of Scott co., Illinois, on the left bank of the Illinois river, 55 miles W. from Springfield. It is the western terminus of the Sangamon and Morgan railroad, which connects it with Springfield. Large quantities of grain, pork, &c. are received here, and shipped by steamboats. The trade of Naples in 1852 was estimated at $4,000,000 in the late message of Governor Matteson.

Latitude:
39.753456
Longitude:
-90.606908

NASHVILLE   A post village, capital of Washington county, on the Illinois river, 118 miles south by east from Springfield. It is situated on a rich and beautiful prairie. (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
38.365087
Longitude:
-89.381662

NAUVOO CITY of Hancock co., Illinois, on the Mississippi river, near the head of the lower rapids, 52 miles above Quincy, and 220 miles above St. Louis. It was founded .by the Mormons in 1840, and once contained from 15,000 to 18,000 inhabitants. The situation is one of the most beautiful on the river. The ground rises gradually from the water's edge to an unusual height, presenting a smooth and regular surface, with a broad plain at the summit.

Latitude:
40.544534
Longitude:
-91.382815

NEW BOSTON, a thriving post-village of Mercer county, Illinois, is situated on the Mississippi river, 156 miles N.W. from Springfield. It is a place of much activity in business, at which a large quantity of produce is bought and shipped.   The adjacent country is fertile, and rapidly improving. Population, in 1853, about 600.    (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.17036
Longitude:
-90.9998

NEWTON, p-v., capital of Jasper co., Ill., 130 s. K. Springfield, 707 W. Situated on the w. side of Embarrass r., and contains 1 Baptist church, 2 stores, and about 150 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
38.987248
Longitude:
-88.164356

ODELL   A thriving post village of Livingston county, near the north-east part, and on the line of the St. Louis, Alton and Chicago railroad.  Daniel Smith, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
41.002008
Longitude:
-88.52179

OGLE COUNTY, situated in the north part of Illinois, and traversed by Rock river. Area, 625 square miles. Seat of justice, Oregon city. Pop. in 1840, 3,497; in 1850, 10,020. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
42.041884
Longitude:
-89.320176

OLNEY, a neat post-village, capital of Richland co., Illinois, on the railroad from St. Louis to Vincennes, 130 miles S. E. of Springfield. It was settled about 1845, by people from the Eastern states. Pop., about 400.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
38.728108
Longitude:
-88.084219

ONARGA    A thriving post village of Iroquois county, on the line of the Illinois Central Railroad  (Chicago Branch), 86 miles south from Chicago.  Joseph Thomas, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
40.715295
Longitude:
-88.010667

ONEIDA  A post village of Knox county, on an affluent of Spoon river.  Charles F. Camp, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
41.07217
Longitude:
-90.224705

OQUAWKA, p-v., capital of Henderson co. Ill. , 138 N. w. Springfield, 868 W. Situated on the E. bank of the Mississippi r., and contains a few stores and dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.937519
Longitude:
-90.949509

OREGON CITY, a thriving post-village, capital of Ogle co., Illinois, on the right bank of Rock river, 176 miles N. by E. from Springfield. It is handsomely situated between the shore and a bluff, which rises in the form of an amphitheatre, at the distance of about a mile, and meets the river a little below the town. Population in 1850, 540.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
42.012703
Longitude:
-89.335773

OSWEGO, a handsome and flourishing post-village of Oswego township, capital of Kendall county, Illinois, is finely situated on the left bank of the Fox river, 45 miles W.S.W.

Latitude:
41.68322
Longitude:
-88.338849

OTTAWA, c. h., p. v., seat of justice of La Salle со., Ill., 133 ms. N. E. of Springfield ; from W. 773 ms. Watered by Illinois and Fox rivers. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.353329
Longitude:
-88.830059

PALESTINE, p-v. , capital of Crawford co. Ill. , 155 s. E. Springfield, 689 W. Situated 3 ms. from Wabash r. , on the borders of Lamotte prairie. It contains a court house, a U. S. land office, 2 churches, 8 stores, various mechanic shops, and about 500 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
39.001621
Longitude:
-87.612585

PARIS, p-v., capital of Edgar co., Ill., 114 E. Springfield, 665 W. Situated on the borders of a rich prairie, and contains a brick court house, 9 stores, 60 dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
39.615081
Longitude:
-87.689095

PEKIN,  A thriving post village of Tazewell county, on the left bank of Illinois river, 12 miles below Peoria and about 60 miles north from Springfield. It is the largest place in the county and has an active business. Large quantities of produce are shipped here by steamboats. Pekin contains a number of churches, an academy, two newspaper offices and several steam mills. Middleton Tackaberry, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
40.567527
Longitude:
-89.6249

PEORIA COUNTY, situated toward the west part of Illinois, with Illinois river on the southeast.  Area, 648 square miles.  Seat of justice, Peoria.  Pop. in 1840, 6,153; in 1850, 17,547. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.785995
Longitude:
-89.767106

PEORIA, a handsome and flourishing city, capital of Peoria county, Illinois, on the right or W. bank of Illinois river, at the outlet of Peoria lake, 70 miles N. from Springfield, and 151 S. W. from Chicago. It is the most populous town on the river, and one of the most important and commercial in the state. The river is navigable by steamboats in all stages of water, and is the channel of an immense trade in grain, lumber, pork, &c.

Latitude:
40.751516
Longitude:
-89.61736

PERRY COUNTY, situated in the south part of Illinois. Area, 432 square miles. Seat of justice, Pinckeyville. Pop. in 1830, 1,215; in 1840, 3,222; in 1850, 5,278. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.084381
Longitude:
-89.368525

PERU   The city of Peru is situated in La Salle county, at the head of navigation on the Illinois river, 16 miles from Ottawa, the county seat, 114 miles from Springfield, 99 miles from Chicago, one mile from the junction of the Illinois Central railroad with the Illinois and Michigan canal, and on the Chicago and Rock Island railroad.

Latitude:
41.357906
Longitude:
-89.139136