All States // Missouri // Illinois // Iowa

Displaying 451 - 500 of 1181

State: Illinois

PETERSBURG   A thriving post village, capital of Menard county, on the Sangamon river, 22 miles northwest from Springfield. The river is navigable for small boats to this place. Jacob Garber, Postmaster. (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
40.014288
Longitude:
-89.845331

PIATT COUNTY, situated toward the east part of Illinois. Area, 440 square miles. Seat of justice, Monticello. Pop. in 1850, 1,606. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.009033
Longitude:
-88.592354

PIKE COUNTY, situated on the southwesterly boundary of Illinois, with Mississippi river on the southwest and the Illinois on the east. Area, 800 square miles. Seat of justice, Pittsfield. Pop. in 1830, 2,396; in 1840, 11,728; in 1850, 9,095. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.625106
Longitude:
-90.889034

PINKNEYVILLE, p-v., capital of Perry co.. Ill., 134 s. Springfield, 839 W. Situated on the w. side of Big Beaucoup creek, at the head of Four Mile prairie, and contains 5 stores and 20 dwellings, and 62 inhabitants.   (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1843)

Latitude:
38.084277
Longitude:
-89.374834

PITSFIELD, p-v., capital of Pike co. Ill., 70 w. s. w. Springfield, 850 W. Situated on elevated ground, midway between the Illinois and Mississippi rivers. It contains a court house, jail, 5 stores, various mechanic shops, and about 200 inhabitants.   (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1843)

Latitude:
39.637442
Longitude:
-90.761412

PLEASANT PLAINS   A post office of Sangamon county.  Thos. Thurley, postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
39.874568
Longitude:
-89.918685

PLYMOUTH   Is a thriving post village, situated in the eastern part of Hancock county, on the Chicago and Quincy railroad, 16 miles from Carthage, the county seat, 42 from Quincy, and 100 from Springfield. This town is one of a good degree of activity, and enjoys a very healthy climate; is in the centre of a highly productive farming district, having wood, coal and water in abundance, and of the best quality.

Latitude:
40.292121
Longitude:
-90.916303

PONTIAC, p-v., capital of Livingston co., Ill., 110 N. N. E. Springfield, 737 W. It contains a court house, jail, and several dwellings. (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.898981
Longitude:
-88.645061

POPE COUNTY, situated on the southerly boundary of Illinois, with Ohio river on the southeast. Area, 576 square miles. Seat of justice, Golconda. Pop. in 1820, 2,610; in 1830, 3,323; in 1840, 4,094; in 1850, 3,975. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.417169
Longitude:
37.417169

POSTVILLE, p-v., capital of Logan co., Ill., 39 n. e. Springfield. Situated on the N. side of Salt cr., a branch of Sangamon r., and contains a court house, 3 stores, and several dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

POSTVILLE, a small post-village of Logan co., Illinois, about 30 miles N. E. from Springfield.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
40.147222
Longitude:
-89.380278

PRINCETON,  p-v., capital of Bureau co., Ill., 135 N. Springfield, 808 W. It contains a court house, jail, and a number of dwellings. It was laid out in 1833.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1843)

Latitude:
41.380882
Longitude:
-89.464765

Pulaski County, Is., c. h. at Caledonia. In the Southern extremity of the state, between the Ohio and Mississippi. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)

Latitude:
37.215615
Longitude:
-89.127755

PUTNAM COUNTY, situated toward the north part of Illinois, and traversed by Illinois river. Area, 325 square miles. Seat of justice, Hennepin. Pop. in 1840, 2,131; in 1850, 3,924. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.198961
Longitude:
-89.298347

QUINCY, p-v., capital of Adams co., Ill., 101 s. Springfield, 884 W. Situated on a bluff, on the E. side of Mississippi r., 125 ins. above the mouth of Illinois r., by water, and contains a court house, which cost $20,000, 4 churches—1 Congregationalist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Baptist—25 stores, a United States land office, a large steam flouring and saw m., a carding machine, about 200 dwellings, and 1,500 inhabitants. The court house stands on a fine public square.

Latitude:
39.933675
Longitude:
-91.379304

RALEIGH, a post-township in Saline Co., Illinois. Population, 1092.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

RALEIGH   A post village, capital of Saline county, on the middle fork of Saline creek, 175 miles south-south-east from Springfield.   Willis A. Spiller, Postmaster. (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
37.824449
Longitude:
-88.531202

RANDOLPH COUNTY, situated on the southwesterly boundary of Illinois, with Mississippi river on the southwest, and traversed by the Kaskaskia. Area, 540 square miles. Seat of justice, Kaskaskia. Pop. in 1810, 7,275; in 1820, 3,492; in 1830, 4,436; in 1840, 7,944; in 1850, 11,079. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.056515
Longitude:
-89.82121

RICHLAND COUNTY, situated in the southeasterly part of Illinois.  Area      square miles.  Seat of justice, Olney.  Pop. in 1850, 4,012. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.712187
Longitude:
-88.085452

RIDGE FARM   A post village of Vermilion county, 16 miles south from Danville.  A. Smith, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
39.895722
Longitude:
-87.651961

ROBINSON   A post village of Crawford county, about 14 miles south-east from Springfield.  Jas. Larrabee, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
39.008567
Longitude:
-87.73344

ROCK ISLAND, county, III. Situated in the n. w. part of the stale, and contains 366 sq. ms. The Mississippi river runs on its w. boundary. Drained by Rock r. The surface is various. The soil is fertile, and along the Mississippi is a rich alluvion. Capital, Rock Island City. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3 266, sheep 763, swine 6,569; wheat 21,170 bushels produced, Ind. com 106,800, oats 20,815, potatoes 32,477, tobacco 750 pounds, sugar 1,261; 15 stores, cap.

Latitude:
41.468421
Longitude:
-90.572125

ROCK ISLAND CITY, p-v., capital of Rock Island co., Ill, 150 Springfield, 879 W. It has been laid out on an extensive scale, at the junction of Rock r. and the Mississippi. It has been in contemplation to cut a canal from the Mississippi, above the rapids, to Rock r., by which an immense water power would be gained. It contains a court house, 12 stores, and about 300 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
41.470163
Longitude:
-90.583113

ROCKFORD, p-v., capital of Winnebago co.. Ill., 203 N. Springfield, 804 W. Situated at the rapids, on Rock r., where is an immense water power. It is on a high and beautiful prairie, on the w. side of the r. Steamboats come to this place, and a ferry here crosses the river. It contains a court house, several stores and dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
42.2593
Longitude:
-89.063478

ROCKTON    A flourishing post village of Winnebago county, is situated both on Rock river and on the Racine and Mississippi Railroad, and is 74 miles from Racine, 12 from Rockford, and 4 from Beloit. It is at the head of navigation of Rock river, and during the past season the steamer Rockford has regularly plied between this place and Rockford, as a passenger and freight boat. Via the river, this place is 18 miles from Rockford.

Latitude:
42.451356
Longitude:
-89.063927

RUSHVILLE, p-v., capital of Schuyler co., Ill, 60 Springfield, 838 W. It is situated at the s. end of a beautiful prairie, and contains a court house of brick, 2 stories high, a jail, 4 churches— 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Campbellite—150 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.119966
Longitude:
-90.566548

SALEM, p-v., capital of Marion co., Ill., 108 S. S. E. Springfield, 760 W. Situated on the border of the Grand prairie, and contains a court house, jail, and about 40 dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
38.627727
Longitude:
-88.957592

SALINE COUNTY, situated in the southerly part of Illinois. Area,        square miles. Seat of justice, Raleigh. Pop. in 1850, 5,558. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.751508
Longitude:
-88.545024

SANGAMON or SANGAMO COUNTY, situated in the central part of Illinois, and traversed by Sangamon river. Area, 900 square miles. Face of the country, even; soil, rich. Seat of Justice, Springfield, which is also the state capital. Pop. in 1830, 12,960; in 1840, 14,716; in 1850, 19,228. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.756867
Longitude:
-89.662425

SCHUYLER, county, Ill. Situated in the w. part of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. Illinois r. runs on its s. e. border. Drained by Crooked, Crane, McKee's, and Sugar creeks. The surface is undulating; soil, very fertile, and much of it heavily timbered. Capital Rushville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,760, sheep 5,246, swine 17,888; wheat 36,800 bush. produced, Ind. corn 298,033, oats 37,288, potatoes 23,545, tobacco 1,424 pounds; 1 commission house, cap. $1,500; 19 stores, cap.

Latitude:
40.156905
Longitude:
-90.613464

SCOTT, county, III. Situated in the w. part of the state, and contains 240 sq. ms. Illinois r. bounds it on the w., by small tributaries of which it is drained. Capital, Winchester. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,354, sheep 6,409, swine 17,518; wheat 41,925 bush. produced, Ind. com 424,000, oats 51,435, potatoes 15,461; 1 com. house, cap. $35,000; 30 stores, cap. $44,420; 4 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 2 potteries,7 flouring m., 12 grist m., 17 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $77,405. 1 acad.

Latitude:
39.637002
Longitude:
-90.477771

SHAWNEETOWN, p-v, Gallatin co. III, 195 s. s. E. Springfield, 762 W. Situated on the N. w. bank of Ohio r, 10 ins. below the mouth of the Wabash r. The bank of the r. has a gradual ascent, but not sufficient to prevent inundation in extreme high floods. It has 12 or 15 stores, a printing office, a bank, a United States land office, and 862 inhabitants. It was laid out in 1814, and is one of the most commercial places in southern Illinois. Pop. of the t.

Latitude:
37.715906
Longitude:
-88.18671

SHELBY, county, Ill. Situated a little S. E. of the centre of the state, and contains 1,030 square ms. Watered by Kaskaskia r. and its tributaries, and head branches of the s. fork of Sangamon r. The surface consists of timber land and prairie; soil, very fertile. Capital, Shelbyville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,423, sheep 6,693, swine 20,862; wheat 18,595 bush. produced, Ind. corn 385,220, oats 74,392, potatoes 6,729; 16 stores, cap.

Latitude:
39.384926
Longitude:
-88.798862

SHELBYVILLE, p-v, capital of Shelby co, Ill,60 S. E. Springfield, 724 W. Situated on the w. bank of Kaskaskia r. It contains a brick court house, 40 feet square, 2 stories high, with a cupola, 9 stores, and about 50 dwellings. It contains a large sulphur spring.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1843)

Latitude:
39.40948
Longitude:
-88.800038

SPRINGFIELD, p-v., capital of Sangamon co, and of the State of Illinois, 103 N. by K. St. Louis, 780 from W. Situated near the centre of the state, 4 ms. S. Sangamon r., on the border of a beautiful and extended prairie. It wax laid out in 1822, and in 1823 contained 30 families, living in log cabins. Its principal growth has been within 10 years past.

Latitude:
39.800647
Longitude:
-89.615083

ST. CHARLES, a post-township in Kane co., Illinois.  Population, 2132.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.918939
Longitude:
-88.311434

SAINT CLAIR COUNTY, situated on the southwesterly boundary of Illinois, with Mississippi river on the west, and traversed by the Kaskaskia. Area, 649 square miles. Face of the country, even; soil, generally fertile. Seat of justice, Bellville. Pop. in 1820, 5,253; in 1830, 7,078; in 1840, 13,631; in 1850, 20,181. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.470198
Longitude:
-89.928546

STARK, county, III. Situated N. W. of the centre of the state, and contains 288 sq. ms. The surface is undulating; soil, very fertile. Drained by Spoon r. Capital, Toulon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,461, sheep 1,322, swine 5,269; wheat 18,876 bush. produced, Ind. corn 61,655, oats 16,850, potatoes 8,112, tobacco 590 pounds, sugar 3,133; 3 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $500. 8 sch. 214 scholars. Pop.

Latitude:
41.096908
Longitude:
-89.797411

STEPHENSON COUNTY, situated on the north boundary of Illinois, and traversed by Pekatonica river. Area, 500 square miles. Seat of justice, Freeport. Pop. in 1840, 2,800; in 1850, 11,666. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
42.349726
Longitude:
-89.665994

SULLIVAN.   A post village of Moultrie county, about 10 miles west by north from Auburn.  Joseph E. Eden, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
39.595656
Longitude:
-88.608809

SYCAMORE, a post-village in De Kalb co., Illinois.  Population, 975.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

SYCAMORE   A post village, capital of DeKalb county, 208 miles north by east from Springfield.  It is situated on a fertile prairie, near Sycamore creek.  The Chicago, Fulton and Iowa railroad passes within a few miles of the place.  Wm. P. Dutton, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
41.994356
Longitude:
-88.681627

TAMAROA   A post office of Perry county.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
38.136342
Longitude:
-89.229266

TAYLORSVILLE, p-v., Christian co., Ill., 26 S.E. Springfield, 754 W.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1843)

Latitude:
39.533984
Longitude:
-89.335901

TAZEWELL, county, Ill. Situated a little N. of the centre of the state, and contains 1,130 sq. miles. Organized in 1827, from Peoria co.. Illinois r. runs on its s. w. border. Drained by Mackinaw r., and by branches of Sangamon r. The surface is level, or slightly undulating : soil, partly sandy prairie, and partly timbered with oak, and fertile. There are some swamps. Capital, Tremont.

Latitude:
40.508074
Longitude:
-89.51626

THEBES, a post-village, capital of Alexander co., Illinois, on the Mississippi river, 144 miles below St. Louis.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
37.212416
Longitude:
-89.450657

TOULON, p-v., capital of Stark co., Ill.  It contains a court house and a number of dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1843)

TOULON  A post village, capital of Stark county, about 35 miles north-west from Peoria, and 230 from St. Louis, and 150 miles from Chicago.  Population 1,000.  B. Turner, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
41.093372
Longitude:
-89.863178

TREMONT, p-v., capital of Tazewell co., Ill., 57 N. Springfield, 771 W. Situated on a pleasant prairie, and laid out in 1835. It contains a court house, jail, 3 churches, occupied by several denominations, 11 stores and groceries, 60 dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1843)

Latitude:
40.524851
Longitude:
-89.490608

TROY   a small post-village of Madison co., Illinois, about 22 miles S. E. from Alton.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

TROY    A post village of Madison county, situated in the south part, 15 miles from Mississippi river. James A. Henderson, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
38.73956
Longitude:
-89.882524

UNION COUNTY, situated on the southwesterly boundary of Illinois, with Mississippi river on the southwest. Area, 380 square miles. Seat of justice, Jonesborough. Pop. in 1820, 2,362; in 1830, 3,239; in 1840, 5,524; in 185O, 7,615. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.485652
Longitude:
-89.244639

URBANNA(sic), p-v., capital of Champaign co., Ill., 92 E. N. E. Springfield, 691 W. Situated on the s. side of the Salt fork of Vermilion r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 30 dwellings. (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.110126
Longitude:
-88.197323

VANDALIA, p-v., capital of Fayette co., Ill, and formerly capital of the state, is situated on the w. bank of Kaskaskia r. It is regularly laid out, with streets crossing each other at right angles. There is a public square in the centre, and the streets are 80 feet wide. It contains a court house, jail, a U. S. land office, 2 churches—1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist—11 stores, 2 printing offices, each issuing a weekly newspaper, 1 steam saw m., 1 water saw m, and about 800 inhabitants.

Latitude:
38.974564
Longitude:
-89.110695

VERGENNES,   A post village of Jackson county, about 10 miles north from Murphysboro. Moses H. Ross, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
37.901933
Longitude:
-89.340158