All States // Missouri // Illinois // Iowa

Displaying 351 - 400 of 1181

State: Illinois

HAVANA, a thriving post-village, capital of Mason county, Illinois, is pleasantly situated on the E. bank of the Illinois river, opposite the mouth of the Spoon river, 218 miles, by water, from Chicago. The site is elevated about 50 feet, and the landing is convenient. The value of the produce shipped at this place, in 1852, was estimated at $200,000. Population in 1853, about 1000.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
40.295109
Longitude:
-90.05781

HENDERSON COUNTY, situated on the western boundary of Illinois, with Mississippi river on the west. Area, ----- square miles. Seat of Justice, Oquawka. Pop. in 1850, 4,612. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.814471
Longitude:
-90.941246

HENNEPIN   A thriving post village, capital of Putnam county, on the left bank of the Illinois river, 115 miles north from Springfield. Steamboats navigate the river between its mouth and Hennepin, in all seasons except winter; it has an active business in shipping produce, the value of which Is estimated at about one million dollars annually. Chester Eddy, Postmaster.  (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

 

Latitude:
41.250527
Longitude:
-89.314094

HENRY COUNTY, situated in the northwesterly part of Illinois, with Rock river on the northwest. Area, 840 square miles. Seat of justice, Cambridge. Pop. in 1840, 1,260; in 1850, 3,807. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.350021
Longitude:
-90.130838

HIGHLAND   A post office in Madison county.  John R. Blattner, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859) 

Latitude:
38.76977
Longitude:
-89.686175

HILLSBOROUGH(sic), p-v, capital of Montgomery co. Ill, 64 s. Springfield, 768 W. It contains a court house, jail, 6 stores, 2 tanneries, 80 dwellings, and 400 inhabitants. (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
39.169587
Longitude:
-89.476486

Illinoistown, IL became East St. Louis, IL in 1861

Latitude:
38.6270025
Longitude:
-90.1994042

IROQUOIS COUNTY, situated on the east boundary of Illinois, and traversed by the Iroquois river. Area, 1,428 square miles. Seat of justice, Middleport. Pop. in 1840, 1,695; in 1850, 4,149. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.748867
Longitude:
-87.833601

JACKSON COUNTY, situated on the southwest boundary of Illinois, on Mississippi river. Area, 576 square miles. Face of the country, even. Seat of justice, Brownsville. Pop. in 1820, 1,542; in 1830, 1,872; in 1840, 3,566; in 1850, 5,862. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.786096
Longitude:
-89.381212

JACKSONVILLE   Is a flourishing town, the capital of Morgan county, on the line of the Great Western railroad, 34 miles west from Springfield, and 222 from Chicago. It is also the central point of three other railroads, viz.: Jacksonville, Alton and St. Louis, Tonica and Petersburg, and the Illinois River railroads. All these roads have been put under contract, and will be completed at an early day.

Latitude:
39.729151
Longitude:
-90.232201

JASPER COUNTY, situated in the southeasterly part of Illinois. Area, 475 square miles. Soil poor. Seat of justice, Newton. Pop. in 1840, 1,472; in 1850, 3,220. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.004874
Longitude:
-88.150763

JEFFERSON COUNTY, situated toward the south part of Illinois. Area, 576 square miles. Face of the country level. Seat of justice, Mount Vernon. Pop. in 1820, 691; in 1830, 2,555; in 1840, 5,762; in 1850, 8,109. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.30078
Longitude:
-88.92421

JERSEY COUNTY, Is., c. h. at Jerseyville. Bounded N. by Greene and E. by Macoupin co., S. by Madison co. and the Mississippi River, separating it from Missouri, and W. by the Illinois River, separating it from Calhoun co. Watered on the N. by a branch of the Illinois River. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)

Latitude:
39.080192
Longitude:
-90.361365

JERSEYVILLE,  A thriving post village, capital of Jersey county, is situated on the line of the Jacksonville, Alton and St. Louis railroad, on a prairie 71 miles south-west from Springfield, and about 10 miles from the Mississippi river; it contains a court house and a newspaper office. Chas. H. Jackson, Postmaster. (Hawkes' Illinois Gazetteer, 1859)

Latitude:
39.117994
Longitude:
-90.327455

JO-DAVIESS COUNTY, situated at the northwest corner of Illinois, on the Mississippi river. Area, 724 square miles. Soil rich. Seat of justice, Galena. Pop. in 1830, 2,111; in 1840, 6,180; in 1850, 18,604. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
42.362391
Longitude:
-90.21147

JOHNSON COUNTY, situated in the south part of Illinois. Area, 486 square miles. Face of the country uneven; soil fertile. Seat of justice, Vienna. Pop. in 1820, 843; in 1830, 1,596; in 1840, 3,626; in 1850, 4,113. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
37.460709
Longitude:
-88.882131

JOLIET   A city in the township of the same name, and the capital of Will county, situated on the Des Plaines river, the Illinois and Michigan canal, the Chicago and Rock Island, and the Chicago, Alton and St. Louis railroads, 40 miles from Chicago; the northern Indiana and Joliet railroad, and the Joliet and Mendota railroad also terminate here.

Latitude:
41.517701
Longitude:
-88.148846

JONESBOROUGH(sic), a small post-village, capital of Union county, Illinois, on the Central railroad, 160 miles S. from Springfield, and 10 miles from the Mississippi, contains several churches and stores. The county has extensive beds of coal, iron ore, lead, and porcelain clay.   (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
37.450952
Longitude:
-89.266574

KANE COUNTY, situated in the northeast part of Illinois, and traversed by Fox river. Area, 1,296 square miles. Seat of justice, Geneva. Pop. in 1840, 6,501; in 1850, 16,703. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.939594
Longitude:
-88.42804

KANKAKEE, a new county in the northeastern part of Illinois, lying between the counties of Iroquois and Will, and bordering on the state of Indiana. Area, about 590 square miles. It is watered by the river Kankakee and its tributaries. The surface is generally level, and consists chiefly of prairie. Capital, Kankakee City.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.13951
Longitude:
-87.861117

KANKAKEE CITY, capital of Kankakee county, Illinois, on the right bank of Kankakee river, at the point where the Chicago and Illinois railroad crosses this stream.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.101654
Longitude:
-87.86369

KASKASKIA, a handsome post-village of Randolph county, Illinois, is finely situated on the right or W. bank of the Kaskaskia river, about 2 miles E. from the Mississippi river, and 142 miles S. from Springfield. It has the distinction of being the oldest town in Illinois, or perhaps in the whole Western States, having been settled by the French about the year 1673. It was the first capital of the territory, and retained that rank until 1818. The Kaskaskia river is a fine navigable stream.

Latitude:
37.921292
Longitude:
-89.916338

KEITHSBURG, a thriving post-village, capital of Mercer county, Illinois, on the Mississippi, 150 miles N. W. from Springfield. A large quantity of produce is bought and shipped at this village, which has a good landing. Population, about 500.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854) 

Latitude:
41.099971
Longitude:
-90.936059

KENDALL COUNTY, situated on the northeasterly part of Illinois, and traversed by Fox river. Area, 324 square miles. Seat of justice, Yorkville. Pop. in 1850, 7,730. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.58814
Longitude:
-88.430626

KNOX COUNTY, situated toward the west part of Illinois. Area, 792 square miles. Seat of justice, Knoxville. Pop. in 1830, 274; in 1840, 7,060; in 1850, 13,279. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.930945
Longitude:
-90.213792

KNOXVILLE, p-v., capital of Knox co., Ill., 100 w. n. w. Springfield, 829 W. Situated on an elevated and rich prairie, near Haw cr. Organized in 1832, and contains a courthouse, 40 dwellings, and 250 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.90693
Longitude:
-90.285699

LA SALLE, p-v.. La Salle co., Ill., 133 N. N. E. Springfield, 788 W. Situated in a prairie adjoining Peoria lake, and contains over 100 dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840) 

Latitude:
41.365458
Longitude:
-89.117223

LACON, p-v, capital of Marshall co. Ill, 99 N. Springfield, 816 W. Situated on the E. side of Illinois r, and contains 3 stores, and about 20 dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
41.022897
Longitude:
-89.40633

LAKE COUNTY, situated at the northeast corner of Illinois, on Lake Michigan. Area, 425 square miles. Seat of justice, Waukegan. Pop. in 1840, 2,634; in 1850, 14,226. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
42.326441
Longitude:
-87.435976

LA SALLE COUNTY, situated in the northerly part of Illinois, and traversed by Illinois river. Area, 1,864 square miles. Seat of justice, Ottawa. Pop. in 1840, 9,348; in 1850, 17,815. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.343341
Longitude:
-88.885931

LAWRENCE COUNTY, situated on the southeasterly boundary of Illinois, with Wabash river on the southeast. Area, 560 square miles. Seat of justice, Lawrenceville. Pop. in 1830, 3,668; in 1840, 7,092; in 1850, 6,122. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.718954
Longitude:
-87.730221

LAWRENCEVILLE, p-v, capital of Lawrence co. Ill, 159 8. E. by E. Springfield, 697 W. Situated on the w. bank of Embarrass r, and contains a brick court house, 5 stores, 1 grist m, and about 70 dwellings.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
38.726301
Longitude:
-87.687406

LEE COUNTY, situated in the north part of Illinois and traversed by Rock river. Area, 720 square miles. Seat of justice, Dixon. Pop. in 1840, 2,035; in 1850, 5,292. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.747442
Longitude:
-89.299351
Latitude:
39.417886
Longitude:
-88.288785

LEWISTOWN, p-v., capital of Fulton co., Ill., 55 N. w. Springfield, 833 W. It contains a neat court house, a jail, 3 stores, and about 40 dwellings. It is 4 ms. E. of Spoon r. and 12 ms. w. of Illinois r.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.396868
Longitude:
-90.155506

LINCOLN   A thriving post village, capital of Logan county, on the line of the St. Louis, Alton and Chicago railroad, 159 miles west of south from Chicago. Has several churches and one newspaper office. Robt. Leslie, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
40.150856
Longitude:
-89.372025

LIVINGSTON COUNTY, situated toward the northeast part of Illinois. Area, 1.026 square, miles. Seat of justice. Pontiac. Pop. in 1840, 759 ; in 1850, 1,558. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.894376
Longitude:
-88.552852

LOCKPORT, a handsome post-village of Lockport township, Will co., Illinois, on the Des Plaines river, and on the Illinois and Michigan canal, 32 miles S. W. from Chicago. It is a place of active business, possessing extensive water-power, and quarries of good building stone. The general office of the canal company is located here. Population in 1853, estimated at 2000. A newspaper is published here weekly.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
41.587373
Longitude:
-88.030349

LOGAN COUNTY, situated in the central part of Illinois. Area, 529 square miles. Seat of justice, Postville. Pop. in 1840, 2,333; in 1850, 5,128. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
40.129277
Longitude:
-89.365309

LOUISVILLE   A post village of Clay county, on the Little Wabash river, 110 miles south-east from Springfield.  Benj. G. Sullivan, Postmaster. (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)

Latitude:
38.769406
Longitude:
-88.506858

LYNDON  A thriving post village of Whiteside county, on Rock river, about 150 miles north from Springfield.  L.E.B. Holt, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859) 

Latitude:
41.717523
Longitude:
-89.923974

MACOMB, p-v, capital of MacDonough co. Ill, 86 n. w. Springfield, 859 W. Situated in a fertile prairie, 2 ms. s. of the Drowning Fork of Crooked cr. It contains a court house, 4 stores, and about 125 inhabitants.  (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)

Latitude:
40.470149
Longitude:
-90.683114

MACON COUNTY, situated in the central part of Illinois. Area, 1,400 square miles. Seat of justice, Decatur. Pop. in 1830, 1,122; in 1840, 3,039, in 1850, 3,988. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.860237
Longitude:
-88.961529

MACOUPIN COUNTY, situated toward the western boundary of Illinois. Area, 800 square miles. Face of the country level, and soil productive. Watered by Macoupin river. Seat of justice, Carlinville. Pop. in 1835, 5,554; in 1840, 7,826; in 1850, 12,355. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
39.2659
Longitude:
-89.926344

MADISON COUNTY, situated on the westerly boundary of Illinois, on the Mississippi river. Area, 760 square miles. Face of the country level; soil fertile. Seat of justice, Edwardsville. Pop. in 1830, 6,229; in 1840, 14,433; In 1850, 20,436. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.827082
Longitude:
-89.900195

MARENGO, a thriving post-village and railroad station of McHenry county, Illinois, on the railroad between Chicago and Galena, 66 miles W. N. W. from the former. Population in 1853, about 650.   (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
42.24655
Longitude:
-88.597545

MARION COUNTY, situated toward the south part of Illinois. Area, 576 square miles. Seat of justice, Salem. Pop. in 1830, 2,125; in 1840, 4,742; in 1850, 6,720. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
38.648106
Longitude:
-88.920488

MARION, a thriving post-village, capital of Williamson county, Illinois, on the Main road leading N. and S. through the centre of the state, 172 miles S. by E. from Springfield. Laid out in 1839.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

Latitude:
37.716274
Longitude:
-88.927421

MARSEILLES   A post village of La Salle county, on the Illinois river and canal, 76 miles by water from Chicago. It is a prominent shipping point for grain, etc. Coal is found in the vicinity.  Albert Butterfield, Postmaster.   (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer..., 1859)

Latitude:
41.352165
Longitude:
-88.693197

MARSHALL COUNTY, situated toward the north part of Illinois, and traversed by Illinois river. Area 384 square miles. Seat of justice, Lacon. Pop. in 1840, 1,849; in 1850, 5,180. (Fanning's, 1853)

Latitude:
41.031119
Longitude:
-89.342371