LA SALLE COUNTY, situated in the northerly part of Illinois, and traversed by Illinois river. Area, 1,864 square miles. Seat of justice, Ottawa. Pop. in 1840, 9,348; in 1850, 17,815. (Fanning's, 1853)
LA SALLE COUNTY Is situated in the north central part of the state, and has an area of 1,050 square miles. It is intersected by the Illinois river, flowing from east to west, and also drained by Fox and Vermilion rivers, and by Indian creek. The surface is undulating, diversified by prairies and wood lands, the former being the most extensive. The soil is exceedingly rich and well cultivated. Corn, wheat, oats, hay and coal, are the staples. It contains a large number of churches, several newspaper offices, and has over 3,000 pupils attending public schools.
The county is also intersected by the Illinois and Michigan canal, by the Illinois Central and Chicago and Rock Island railroads. The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad also crosses the northern portion. It was settled by white people in 1822, and was organized as a county in 1831, the population at that time being about 300. In early days this was embraced in Fayette county, of which Vandalia was the county town, and still earlier, it was within the scope of territory claimed by Randolph county, state of Virginia, and Kaskaskia was the county town. This county abounds in coal mines, which afford an immense revenue, and the product has become, of late years, almost the staple article of trade. Many of the original settlers of the county are still living within its limits.
The name was given in honor of M. La Salle, one of the first explorers of Illinois. Capital, Ottawa. Population, about 38,000. (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)