CHICKASAW COUNTY. Three years ago Chickasaw County had not a single white resident — now the population of the county exceeds 1000. In 1853, Rufus Clark, a famous trapper and hunter, a native of Ohio, settled in the vicinity of the present Bradford P. O., which is in the neighbourhood of the junction of the Little and the Big Cedar Rivers. The population of Bradford now is 300. One district school with an average attendance of 70 scholars. Preaching every Sabbath — principally Methodist. No churches organized yet.
Two saw-mills in full operation, and a steam saw-mill being erected.
Capitalists and traders would find this a wide and inviting field for their operations.
Flouring-mill much needed. Flour is now brought 45 miles, and grain taken the same distance to mill. With any amount of water-power all over the county, and the best of grain soil, we hope some capitalist will consult his interest by contributing to the wants of the people of Chickasaw. (Iowa As It Is in 1855; A Gazetteer for Citizens..., 1855)
CHICKASAW COUNTY Was organized in 1859. It is situated in the second tier of counties from the north line of the State, and the third west from the Mississippi, and in size is twenty-four miles east and west, by twenty-one north and south. The larger portion of this county is timber, though there are some high rolling prairie lands. The soil is of excellent quality, and it is estimated from the county assessments that there is not less than 270,000 acres not yet under cultivation, which can be obtained at very reasonable rates by actual settlers. The central portion of the county is watered by the branches of the Wapsipinicon, while the little Cedar flows through the western, and Crane Creek, a branch of Turkey, runs through the eastern portion. These streams afford good water-power, much of which is as yet unimproved.
BRADFORD, the largest town in this county, is located near the confluence of the Little Cedar and Cedar Rivers, in the south-western township. The Cedar Valley Railway, now completed to Waverly, about sixteen miles south, will approach near this point. Bradford contains four general stores, one hardware, one grocery, and one furniture store, with several mechanical shops. Also good schools, and several church organizations.
NEW HAMPTON is the county seat, situated in the geographical centre of the county, on the stage route from Bradford to Fort Atkinson. It has a Congregational Church, three general stores, and one saw-mill. The New Hampton Courier is published weekly, by Geo. W. Reynolds & Levi J. Young. Population, 200.
NASHUA is situated on the west bank of the Cedar River, eighteen miles south-west of New Hampton. The town is compactly built, and the buildings of the best class. One of the finest water-powers in Northern Iowa is at this place. A flouring mill has been lately erected here at a cost of $20,000. The town contains two churches, Methodist and Baptist, also four general stores, one hardware store and one saw-mill. Population, 400; of township, 1,000.
FREDERICKSBURGH is situated on the Little Wapsipinicon River, ninety miles north west of DuBuque. It contains four churches, two Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian, two general stores and one broom factory. Population, 200.
JACKSONVILLE is in the township of the same name, in the north-eastern part of the county. It contains two church organizations, Baptist and Methodist, and two general stores. Population, 100.
STAPLETON is a post office in Stapleton Township, seven miles from New Hampton. Population of township, 100.
WILLIAMSTOWN is seven miles south of New Hampton. It contains one church, United Brethren, and one general store. Population, 50.
NORTH WASHINGTON is seven miles north-west of New Hampton in Washington Township. It is situated on the Wapsipinicon River, which affords a good water-power. There is a good supply of timber. The village contains two churches and one general store. Population, 47.
CHICKASAW is situated on the south-western part of the county, about three miles north of Bradford, near the east bank of the Little Cedar. It contains four general stores, one flour mill, two steam saw-mills, one hotel, one Baptist and one Presbyterian Church.
Beaver City and Deerfield are post offices of this county. (Hair's Iowa State Gazetteer..., 1865)