Frederick, Md., City, and seat of justice of Frederick co. Situated on Carroll Creek, 3 miles above its entrance into Monococy Creek, 43 miles W. from Annapolis, and 61 W. by N. from Baltimore. It lies on the old traveled road between Baltimore and Wheeling, and a short distance N. of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, with which it is connected by a branch 3 miles long at a point near the Monococy Viaduct. Frederick is laid out with regularity, in broad streets crossing each other at right angles, and contains a number of elegant public and private buildings, among which are the edifices of 12 or 14 churches of different denominations. The buildings are mostly of stone or brick. Many of the streets are paved. The trade of this place is quite extensive, rendering it one of the most important towns in the state.
John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America... (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 376.