GUTHRIE COUNTY Is not as large nor as old as many other counties of the State, but possesses advantages which, when developed, will place her in the advance. The soil of Guthrie is second to none in the State, for the farmer, grazier, and fruit-grower. The numerous streams of running water afford eligible and profitable sites for the erection of the much-needed manufactories, while the banks are big with inexhaustible quarries of lime, free-stone, and stone-coal, and in the north- west corner large quantities of iron ore have been discovered. The first settlements in the county were made in 1850, and the present population is 2000. The principal church denominations are Methodists, United Brethren, O. S. Baptists, and Friends, each of whom are making arrangements for the erection of church buildings for their respective denominations. At present all meetings are held in school-houses, of which the county can boast several very good ones. The district school-house in Panora, is the best in Western Iowa, and a public school is kept up in it all the year. Considerable of the land in this county is yet un-entered ; though timber-lands are all taken up. The county-seat, Panora, was settled in 1853 ; it now contains a population of 160. More saw-mills, a planing-mill, lath-machine, carding and fulling-mill, brick-makers, carpenters, masons, and plasterers, are all much needed in Guthrie. (Iowa As It Is in 1855; A Gazetteer for Citizens..., 1855)
GUTHRIE COUNTY Was organized in 1851, and is in the fourth tier of counties north of Missouri, and the fourth east of the Missouri River.
The principal streams traverse the county with a general direction from northwest to southeast, the Mosquito Creek in the northeast part, the Raccoon river in the north half, the South Raccoon river and its branches in the centre, and the Middle river in the south. There is a fair supply of timber on these streams, and abundance of stone coal. There is in this county an unusual number of small running streams, and fine springs. There are limestone and large quantities of excellent iron re in the hills, especially between the Middle river and South Raccoon. The county is generally rolling and rich land, and the west half is broken and reported to be rich with mineral. There are some good mill sites along the chief streams, and detached groves of timber scattered over the county, away from the valleys.
Several large ponds, some clear and with fish, are in the north part of Guthrie. In the north near the head of the Mosquito, is a sulphur spring. Near the centre of the county, and on both sides of Brush creek, the iron ore is so abundant that its ledges rise to the surface, and mineral is obtained without mining. Capital and machinery alone are wanted to develop and use its hidden wealth. (Hair's Iowa State Gazetteer..., 1865)