ROCKFORD, p-v., capital of Winnebago co.. Ill., 203 N. Springfield, 804 W. Situated at the rapids, on Rock r., where is an immense water power. It is on a high and beautiful prairie, on the w. side of the r. Steamboats come to this place, and a ferry here crosses the river. It contains a court house, several stores and dwellings. (Haskell's Complete Descriptive and Statistical Gazetteer of the the United States...,1840)
ROCKFORD A flourishing post village, capital of Winnebago county, is finely situated on the east bank of Rock river, and on the Chicago and Galena railroad, 97 miles west-north-west from Chicago.
Rockford is the centre of an active business, and has an abundant water power. It has nearly all been built since 1836. Its growth was constant and moderate until 1850, when it began to increase with great rapidity. This was mainly caused by the early completion of the railroad from Chicago to this point. It contains several very fine churches, a bank, three or four newspaper offices, schools, etc., and is largely engaged in manufacturing. (Hawes' Illinois State Gazetteer...,1859)