BENTON COUNTY, situated toward the easterly part of Iowa, and traversed by Cedar river. Area, 660 square miles. Seat of justice, Vinton. Pop. in 1850, 672. (Fanning's, 1853)
BENTON, a new county in the E. central part of Iowa, has an area of 720 square miles. It is traversed by Cedar river and by Prairie creek, andthe Iowa river touches its S. W. extremity. The prairies of this county are said to be more extensive than the woodlands: the soil is fertile, and the climate healthy. Wheat, Indian corn, oats, and potatoes are cultivated. In 1850 this county produced 19,370 bushels of Indian corn; 8013 of wheat; 2483 of oats; 638 of potatoes; 1068 pounds of wool, and 678 tons of hay. Capital, Vinton. Population, 672. (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)
BENTON COUNTY Was first settled by S. M. Lockhart, in the spring of 1841 ; soon after, other families followed. In August, 1851, C. C. Charles's was the only family that resided in what is now Vinton. The reports of the assessors in regard to this, as well as many other sections, are very incorrect. Last year they gave Vinton 307 — now there are 509. The county was censused at 2623, but at that time there were at least 3000, and the population of Benton is now nearly 4000.
The O. S. and N. S. Presbyterians have established societies, and are preparing to erect churches.
One school, well conducted, with 90 scholars.
One steam saw-mill, cutting 4000 feet of lumber every 24 hours. A flouring-mill is very much needed. This county is well watered with a due proportion of prairie and timber. The settlements of the county are at Burk's P. O., Marysville, Beutah P. O., Taylor's Creek P. O.; and Prairie Creek P. O. (Iowa As It Is in 1855; A Gazetteer for Citizens..., 1855)