BOONSBORO At the time of the organization of the county [Boone County, Iowa], there was not a town in it. The commissioners fixed upon the house of John M. Crooks as the temporary county seat, and continued to use the same for that purpose for about two years. Crooks' house was a log cabin of the most primitive structure, situated on the farm, now owned by Michael Myers, and about 1-1/2 miles south-east of Boonsboro.
Much diversity of opinion existed in the minds of the old settlers as to where the county seat should be located; but the State Legislature arranged the matter by appointing commissioners to locate the same, and about the 1st of July, 1851, David Swaine, of Marion county, one of the locating commissioners made his appearance at the house of Dr. James Hall, expecting to meet the others. But they did not come. After waiting a day or two, Mr. Swaine grew impatient, and talked of going home without accomplishing the location. But to this the citizens objected. They were determined to have a county seat. The question as to where it should be located, had been too vexed a one, to let a chance for its settlement slip. S. K. Schoville, one of the commissioners lived near Adel, Dallas County, about 35 miles distant, and he must be sent for. At the desire of the citizens, S. B. McCall went after him, who after a series of adventures, swimming and wading rivers, creeks and sloughs, (it being a very wet season,) succeeded in getting the two commissioners together on the 5th day of July.
They forthwith proceeded to inspect the topography of the county, and on the 6th day of July, 1851, with very little ceremony stuck their stake about the center of the present Public Square in Boonsboro; being in the N. W. 1/4 of Sec. 29, 84, 26, and informed the assembled citizens that there should be their county seat, and desired to know what it should be called. At the suggestion of S. B. McCall, it was named Boonsboro. The county commissioners immediately ordered to be laid off, and Thomas Sparks as county surveyor performed the work.
W. C. Hull built the first town, a two story hewed log house, the same now owned and used by W. D. Parker as a hotel.
The first District Court ever held in the county, was held in this house, in October, 1851, Judge William McKay, presiding. The first sale of lots took place during said court, and tile highest price for which any lot sold, was fifty dollars.
W. C. Hull, J. A. McFarland, John Houser, William and Wesley Carrell, S. B. McCall, Dr. J. F. Rice and Dr. D. S. Holton were the first citizens of the town.
The present population of the town is about one thousand, including the additions recently laid out in the vicinity of the depot.
There is one pottery, six grocery stores, five dry good stores, three drug stores, two banks, two church buildings, and one school house.
There is one flouring mill, and another one is badly needed.
Two sunday schools with libraries, one public, and two select schools, are in operation most of the time.
Mt. Olive Lodge, No. 79, A. F. & A.M., has long been established, and meets on Friday nights previous to the full of the moon.
Boonsboro Lodge No. 79, I. O. O. F., is also an old establishment, and meets every Saturday night.
The Boonsboro Index, edited by W. H. Gallup, is the only paper published in the county.
The town will be incorporated as soon as an election is ordered for the election of municipal officers, all the necessary steps having been taken therefor.
The town has a small, but handsome public square, tastefully fenced, and set with trees. About one hundred buildings are going up in Boonsboro, the additions this summer, and its Population will greatly increase during the ensuing year. (Hair's Iowa State Gazetteer..., 1865)
Note: Now known as Boone, Iowa.