BROWNSVILLE, c.h., p.v., seat of justice of Jackson co., Ill., 177 ms. S. of Springfield; from W. 842 miles. Watered by the Big Muddy river. (Fanning's, 1853)
BROWNSVILLE a post-village of Jackson county, Illinois, on the Big Muddy river, about 10 miles by land from the Mississippi river, and 175 miles S. from Springfield. It was formerly the county seat, and is still one of the principal places in the county. Salt is procured from springs in the vicinity. (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)
Note: Seat of government moved to Murpheysboro in 1843. Classified as a "ghost town" at present.