CARROLLTON, the county seat, is in the south-eastern part of the county, forty-five miles west of Boonsboro, the present terminus of the Cedar Rapids and Missouri River R. R., and seventy-five miles north-west of DesMoines. It contains three churches, Methodist, Presbyterian and Episcopal, and one lodge of Masons; also, one flour mill, two saw-mills and two general stores. The soil of the surrounding country is well adapted to the different cereals and to stock growing. Population 45; of township, 300.
Coon Rapids and Jasper are post offices in this county. (Hair's Iowa State Gazetteer..., 1865)
Note: County seat moved to Carroll, Iowa in 1869. Carrollton no longer appears on state maps. Located near present-day Coon Rapids North.