CASS COUNTY, IA, c. h. at Logansport. N. central. Watered by the Wabash and Eel Rivers, which afford fine mill privileges. Surface mostly level. The Wabash and Erie Canal traverses this county. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)
CASS COUNTY Joins Pottawattamie on the east, and, like those adjoining on the west and south, was settled by Mormons in 1846-7, who, however, left in the spring of 1852, when W. L. Townsend, P. Hedges, J. Bradshaw, C. E. Woodward, George Reeves, and J. W. Benedict took their places, and became permanent settlers. Lewis, the county-seat, was first settled by R. C. Lambert. The population of the county is now a little rising of 700. A fine court-house is to be built in Lewis this season.
There is but one church in Lewis — occupied by the Congregationalists and Methodists.
No newspaper, but one needed.
Two good common schools in Lewis, in very good condition.
Two saw-mills and one grist-mill. A woollen factory would do well, also mechanics of every kind — blacksmiths, plough and wagon makers, cabinet-makers, and day laborers.
Cass County is unsurpassed, in point of fertility and water, in the State, — is well supplied with timber and stone. The soil gently undulating and dry. There is yet considerable unentered land in this county. (Iowa As It Is in 1855; A Gazetteer for Citizens..., 1855)