SIGOURNEY, a thriving post-village of Keokuk county, Iowa, 45 miles S. W. from Iowa City. It is the largest place in the county, of which it was formerly the capital. It is stated that the seat of justice will again be established here. Pop. in 1853, about 800.  (Baldwin's New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States..., 1854)

SIGOURNEY, the county seat, is located near the centre of the county [Keokuk County, Iowa], on rolling prairie. It is about three miles north of the Skunk River, and thirty-two west of Washington, the terminus of the Muscatine Branch of the Mississippi and Missouri Railroad. It contains six general stores, two drug stores, two groceries, one book store, and one hardware store. H. E. & J. W. Hovins, publish a newspaper weekly. The M. E. Church house, was erected in 1856, the principal men actively engaged in it being Henry Laffer, J. C. Hogin, &c. The pastor at that time was Rev. Hestwood. This church was first organized in 1846 by Rev. Hulbert. The Presbyterian church was organized in 1855, and in 1856 the present house of worship was erected. Pastoral service was limited and supplied from a distance, until 1857, when the Rev. S. C. Kerr located here for a time. The Baptist church was organized as early as 1845, by Rev. Elliott. The Christian church, and some others, have been organized a few years.
The Court House was erected under the administration of Judge Harned. The contract was let in 1857 to Lehman & Coleman, and finished in 1859, at a cost of $17,200. The basement contains rooms for fuel and the temporary detention of prisoners. The first floor is used for offices, there being five commodious rooms, besides two fire proof vaults. The second story is taken up with the court rooms and two jury rooms. The court room, together with its gallery, is supposed to be capable of seating 1,000 persons. The block on which it stands is 276 feet square, was enclosed by a substantial board fence in the spring of 1860, and under the direction and at the request and expense of Mrs. H. Sigourney, of Hartford, Connecticut, was planted with a border of forest trees.
Hogin Lodge, No. 32, of the Masonic Order, was instituted at Sigourney by charter, granted June 2d, 1852, the names of J. L. Hogin, A. E. Lowe, and M. M. Crocker, being among the charter members.
Sigourney Lodge No. 98, of the Odd Fellows, was organized in 1856, and numbers about thirty members.
Population about 500.  (Hair's Iowa State Gazetteer..., 1865)

Total Population 1850
City or Town