WOOD was formed in 1799, from Harrison, and named from James Wood, governor of Virginia from 1790 to 1799; it is 35 miles long, and 30 wide. Nearly the whole of its territory is embraced in the valley of the Little Kanawha and its tributaries, Hughes Hirer, and N. fork of Hughes River. The surface is much broken, but the soil for the most part is good. Pop. in 1840, whites 7,243, slaves 624, free colored 56; total, 7,923.
Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 515-516.